Weller’s now certainly found a style – and a haircut – that’s he’s comfortable with, which is a bit of a shame given what a musical magpie he was earlier in his career, flitting across the genres by mixing rock with soul, and then even bemusing his own record label with his jaunts into further musical horizons. In between all that he still found time to write some of the best pop songs of the seventies and eighties, as well as the worst lyric – yes, “donkey’s car-ROT” – and we’ll hear some of that here.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
The first episode of the resumed run is going out around the time you see this, and here we are again two weeks later as we’ve skipped one. Indeed such is the way the presenter rota worked in late 1980 we’re going to get quite a lot of repetition over the next few weeks, though among the few new acts this time round we have the great combination of a synthpop classic alongside the less than triumphant return of Gilbert O’Sullivan. Meanwhile if you thought the discontinuation of the guest presenters meant the end of the extraneous feature material, you may be in for a surprise.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Creamvote play-offs! Rainbow vs Weekend World', Des E says: "So, probably the most ridiculous Creamvote thus far turns out to be arguably the most dramatic and exciting thus far as..."
- In 'Flaxton Boys, The', Scott McPhee says: "1969 to 1973. I had no idea. This show still aired on Australia’s ABC in the early 1980s."
- In 'Fast Forward', Scott McPhee says: "Dear Admins, in Australia, there was a long running sketch comedy show, also called Fast Forward. So, TV Cream could say; “No relation to the..."
- In 'Robin’s Nest', Scott McPhee says: "The first episode featured a gag which is a staple comic misunderstanding. Robin is preparing to open his restaurant. He employs a sign..."
- In 'Rings on Their Fingers', Scott McPhee says: "I remember this show from it’s airing on Australia’s ABC."