Weller’s now certainly found a style – and a haircut – that’s he’s comfortable with, which is a bit of a shame given what a musical magpie he was earlier in his career, flitting across the genres by mixing rock with soul, and then even bemusing his own record label with his jaunts into further musical horizons. In between all that he still found time to write some of the best pop songs of the seventies and eighties, as well as the worst lyric – yes, “donkey’s car-ROT” – and we’ll hear some of that here.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Next week we’ll be celebrating BBC2′s fiftieth anniversary with a whole host of programmes which all sounds pretty ace to us, and which we’ll come to in due course. This is a bit of a taster though, as it’s, er, the fortieth anniversary programme again. Well, not exactly, because it was three hours long last time and now it’s been edited down into two half hours, but it’ll make for a suitable aperitif, especially because they’ve probably got rid of the Dead Ringers sketches.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richie Brown says: "There’s the thing – Morecambe and wise came second to…Ant and Dec. Oh dear, Channel 5 still the preserve of the brain dead and..."
- In 'TTV', Richard16378 says: "Other segment of this I remember was Top Of The Mops, a music show with an audience of mops pointing upwards."
- In 'Erasmus Microman', Applemask says: "Fuck you, this could only have been awesome, because Ken Campbell."
- In 'Yak, The', thedoctorrr says: "I used to love Yak as a kid- possibly one of the most melancholy shows ever produced for kiddies ( can still hum the somewhat sad theme tune even now)...."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "They showed about a minute of clips from Watership Down for Bright Eyes."