Stuff you’d only get on Radio Four part 2364 – a drama about S4C! Of course it’s the thirtieth anniversary of both that and its English language brother this week but while the current Channel Four, never knowingly interesting, isn’t doing anything about it, it looks like S4C are churning out the clips most nights and showing programmes voted for by viewers – and brilliantly, the schedules all have “subsequent programmes are subject to change” disclaimers, so clearly they don’t know what they’re going to be showing and how long it’ll be. The only English celebrations of this penblwydd hapus are here, which tells the true story of how Gwynfor Evans went on a hunger strike until the Government promised there’d be a Welsh TV channel.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Is there a more influential figure in radio comedy in the last quarter of a century than Chris Morris? Certainly at a time when comedians are talked up as being outrageous but end up simply running through increasingly tedious tropes, Morris’ shows certainly seemed to have a real sense of danger about them, not least when he was live on Radio 1 and creating genuinely shocking and unsettling pieces of broadcasting. You’ll hear some of it in this three hour miscellany which we’re sure will be absolutely fascinating. The one thing we don’t like so much about Morris is how he doesn’t talk about himself enough, because we would have loved commentaries on the Day Today DVD and there’s no reason why he shouldn’t have done them, he’s clearly a massively intelligent and engaging figure and they would have been fascinating. Inevitably he doesn’t contribute here, though many of his associates including Messers Banyham and Iannucci do.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Hope and Keen’s Crazy House/Bus', Kev says: "…and not forgetting the end title song “Crazy Bus you’ve found another clue We’ll be back again another..."
- In 'Creamvote #6 The most unforgettable sports theme!', Richard16378 says: "The Grandstand theme was also used an American programme about rollercoasters narrated by Vincent Price, which..."
- In 'Creamvote #6 The most unforgettable sports theme!', THX 1139 says: "Had to be World of Sport because that’s the only one I watched, though it was always worth tuning in to Ski..."
- In 'Carrie’s War', Will O'Cary says: "I think the account above (“UBIQUITOUS SCHOOL reading homework…”) was written on the school bus the morning after..."
- In 'Creamvote #5 The most unforgettable kids’ factual show theme!', Dan Pearce says: "As much as find it hard to vote for the traitors’ channel, it has to be Magpie. I have..."