Channel Four’s comedy season continues with a welcome screening for a series that is terribly badly served on DVD, thanks to a ludicrous decision to not just cut out the ad breaks, but also all references to the ad breaks so sketches that straddle them are rendered completely unintelligible. We buy DVDs to get more, not less, and we all know it was on a commercial channel. We think is from series two. Then later at twenty past two it’s a rare outing for Chelmsford 123, and also a rare chance to remember that Rory McGrath was at one point tolerable. We reckon they might only be showing it to embarrass Jimmy Mulville now he’s a massively powerful TV executive, mind.
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Been a shitty week for deaths, one of the saddest being Trevor Bolder of the Spiders of Mars, which adds extra poignancy to this big new documentary. In it they’re going to take five turning points in the career of Dave Bowie of The Dave Bowie Band, and though we don’t think he’s interviewed for it, seemingly everyone who’s ever worked with him is and there are loads of rare clips.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Gerry Dorrian says: "Yuo, it’s been a shitty week for deaths."
- In 'Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club, The', Droogie says: "Am I alone in thinking Colin Crompton bore an uncanny resemblance to Frank Skinner?"
- In 'Wacky Races', Des E says: "Did Will and Joe intend to make more than 17 episodes (and hence more than 34 races), or is it possible that they *deliberately* left it to the viewers to..."
- In 'Who Pays the Ferryman?', Applemask says: "DON’T EVEN FIX A PRICE"
- In 'Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club, The', Applemask says: "Clarification: Manning wasn’t deceased at the time"