THE BRITISH Film Institute’s attempt to get a snapshot of What We Watch, and an absolutely stunning one at that. Genius premise: anyone and everyone gets invited to keep a diary of what TV they saw on Tuesday 1st November 1988, including telly professionals and bigwigs. Meanwhile cameras follow life at all the main networks, film shoots and studios around the UK. The result: an achingly of-the-moment account in words and pictures of the state of the crystal bucket. ANNE DIAMOND crossing a picket line. JEREMY PAXMAN on a bike. GORDON HONEYCOMBE slagging off NICHOLAS WITCHELL (“Twatchell!”). The wrong guest turning up on BREAKFAST TIME. “I do wish CAROL DOOLEY wouldn’t block the South-East corner of the UK with her body and dangling objects.” People on OPEN AIR complaining about the previous night’s PAUL DANIELS Halloween special. CHERYL BAKER eating “some pernicious-looking green balls”. “LUCKY LADDERS is a game show that is cheap television at its worst, but watchable.” FIONA ARMSTRONG singing the virtues of Border Television’s NEW COUNTRY. NIGEL HAWTHORNE moaning about being filmed rehearsing YES PRIME MINISTER. STEPHEN FRY throwing up. “I think we are talking about THE GENERATION GAME”. ESTHER RANTZEN brainstorming ideas for HEARTS OF GOLD. Meerkats. “WHAT’S YOUR STORY was good and I phoned up about 50 times but didn’t get through”. MIKE NEVILLE giggling. Cliff singing ‘Wired For Sound’ on WOGAN. “It is good to see that NOEL EDMONDS has bounced back.” MARTYN LEWIS singing JOHN BIRT’s praises. “I was a bit disappointed with the pullover of question master DAVID COLEMAN.” And GARY WILMOT celebrating his 8th wedding anniversary.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Last part of this, second time round, and then we’ll have to wait and see if we join the new generation of kids at the age of 21 as we’re supposed to be later this year. If not we’ll certainly be back with this lot in 2019, and we very much look forward to that. Unless ITV, who still haven’t got round to showing a new drama since May and are absolutely going through the motions at the moment, completely collapse by then.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Ripcord', Lina B. Umpierre says: "As the late Larry Pennell (* Uniontown, Pennsylvania, United States of America/February 21, 1928 – + ?/August 28, 2013) as the colorful and..."
- In 'Ripcord', Lina B. Umpierre says: "Mental note: If you really want to parachute and/or skydive, just remember always the audacious and brave “Ripcord” men, Ted McKeever..."
- In 'Ripcord', Lina B. Umpierre says: "This is the most danger-packed adventure show on television of the early 1960s ever made. Every jump and aerial maneuver are real, photographed..."
- In 'Perils of Penelope Pitstop, The', THX 1139 says: "How come the Anthill Mob all sat in the front seat of their car, piled up on top of one another? Chugaboom had plenty of room for..."
- In 'TV Cream’s perfect Eurovision line-up', George White says: "Twink, Maxi’s partner is an annoying Irish comedienne/singer/presenter, who has become known for being drunk..."