Funny how advertising can alter the associations of a song forever. The Stylistics’ You Make Me Feel Brand New, a keening tract of close harmony disco schmaltz from 1974, should by rights conjure up images of the last couple dancing on a rapidly-clearing disco floor at the end of the evening, glitter balls going slowly out of focus, lonely men in polo shirts dejectedly draining the last of their lukewarm pint, and other provincial night out cliches of a certain vintage. Instead it stands for a blonde housewife flapping a white cotton sheet around an overlit bedroom, and a baby drooling mashed banana onto its bib. This misattribution is all the fault of Bio-Tex, ‘the only specialist soaker and pre-washer’, and its long-running ad campaign which famously identified, in the forthright manner of the ancient Greek philosophers, the four basic elements of dirt as blood, sweat, gravy and egg. Precisely what reasoning led to the isolation of this seemigly random quartet we’d have loved to know, but no working was ever shown.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
The series of Mastermind almost lasts as long as the football season, this run starting way back in August, so you can’t argue the winner of tonight’s final doesn’t deserve their prize. This is now we think the only time we get to know about the contestants rather than just watch them answer questions, and we’ll find out why they picked subjects including the Falklands War and The Ashes.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Words and Pictures', Graham Pearson says: "Watch the episode of Words and Pictures in which Henry tells the story of a pumpkin scaring members of the public until a pig thwarted him...."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "You did mention this a few days ago, it was one show I was too young to click with when it was first on. The titles & music do feel like..."
- In 'Creamvote #2 The most unforgettable news theme!', Des E says: "Here’s the full version of the Money Programme theme tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNcUnfvFAFI A shame,..."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "In 2013 there was another version shot, which needed a special train as there are no longer any non stop services from London to Brighton."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Droogie says: "Cheers, Des E. The no-show on BBC iPlayer of the previously TV Cream reviewed TOTP episode did make me suspicious"