Funny how advertising can alter the associations of a song forever. The Stylistics’ You Make Me Feel Brand New, a keening tract of close harmony disco schmaltz from 1974, should by rights conjure up images of the last couple dancing on a rapidly-clearing disco floor at the end of the evening, glitter balls going slowly out of focus, lonely men in polo shirts dejectedly draining the last of their lukewarm pint, and other provincial night out cliches of a certain vintage. Instead it stands for a blonde housewife flapping a white cotton sheet around an overlit bedroom, and a baby drooling mashed banana onto its bib. This misattribution is all the fault of Bio-Tex, ‘the only specialist soaker and pre-washer’, and its long-running ad campaign which famously identified, in the forthright manner of the ancient Greek philosophers, the four basic elements of dirt as blood, sweat, gravy and egg. Precisely what reasoning led to the isolation of this seemigly random quartet we’d have loved to know, but no working was ever shown.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
This week’s news has had no impact on this run which continues in much the same way as it’s done for the past two years with various shows being skipped along the way, as has been the case here so there’s a bit of repetition to put up with but still some ace new stuff as well. The extended versions is still billed as such but it’s down here in a half hour slot so we’re assuming it’s only a few minutes longer and they’re rounding down, maybe Blankety Blank had a particularly long tie-breaker that week. We also hear from Sue from Legs & Co – not personally, mind – that apparently 1980’s got the green light, which if true will be fantastic news and will take the repeats past four years. Didn’t even think we’d make it to a fourth week.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Medusa Touch, The', iMatt says: "The courtroom scene was pretty good too. And the bit when he argues with wife and her new lover (played by Jeremy Brett)."
- In 'McCloud', iMatt says: "Pretty much inspired by Coogan’s Bluff starring Clint Eastwood?"
- In 'Paddles Up', Graham says: "Watching Paddles Up was very educational and I believe young people do white water rafting in Northampton."
- In 'Brass', Damian says: "It’s BLACKGUARD-not ‘blaggard’."
- In 'The Official Doctor Who Fan Club returns', ann marie louuise white says: "I am biggest fan in the world be course I love doctor who Matthew Robert Smith he is so lovely young Man in..."