Brainchild of boss Peter ‘Mitsubishi’ Parker, British Rail’s first proper TV ad campaign was a whistles-and-bells extravaganza of cut-price offers and posh cinematic entreaties. Dozens of Inter-City fleets, bodywork glistening in a perpetual rainstorm, plied forever-rolling countryside. Their cargo: the honourable Sir Jim’ll Savile. His armoury: a dark suit, a Maxpax coffee, shockingly sensible hair and an endless amount of paperwork that had to be done before that pressing engagement with the man who makes the machines for the hospitals. Wine-bar funk played while the kid who sang ‘Walking in the Air’ (Not Aled Jones, The Other One) belted out, ‘this is the age of the train.’ From a time when audiences were impressed by extended sequences of carriage exteriors, the ads did their job in leaving the slogan – somewhat meaningless out of context – in everyone’s heads.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Saturday, 21.25, BBC1
Well, bit of an odd way to begin, but we’re including it here, not just because thanks to the football it’s a bit of a quiet week, but because it’s the thousandth edition – and to celebrate we get the triumphant return of Cathy Shipton as Duffy. To be honest, whenever we watch Casualty, like Emmerdale, we always say either “Oh, are they still in it?” or “Oh, are they in it now?”, so maybe you thought Duffy was in it every week, but if you’re a regular viewer we suppose it’s quite big news. However, rather awkwardly, this landmark has been reached right in the middle of the Schedule A and Schedule B business, so it might be tomorrow and many people might miss it completely, so we’re not sure why they didn’t just “accidentally” miscount and say a more conveniently scheduled episode was the thousandth. It’s the thirtieth anniversary in three months anyway, so there’s chance for more celebrations then.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "I’ve been hoping the BBC4 repeats would get to 1982 even since the started. This is mainly because it’s when I started to watch TOTP..."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Palitoy says: "Also worth noting – to reiterate a point made in one of the Cream Amigo’s recent (and great) commentary-casts – is that the..."
- In 'Sons and Daughters', Scott McPhee says: "Ally Fowler, who starred in Sons and Daughters, is still acting and performing. She sings in a pop group called The Chantoozies."
- In 'Monkey', Scott McPhee says: "“Steamroller schoolboy cult due to then-novelty kung-fu scenes, bonkers narrative, that theme song, and magic-summoning blowing-on-fingers..."
- In 'Bottle Boys', THX 1139 says: "I just watched that One Good Turn episode too, and the fact that it features both Robin Askwith doing a Bernie Winters impersonation and Bernie Winters..."