Of course, the picture’s better on Betamax – so claimed home hi-fi nutters in the mid-1980s unwilling to admit the entertainment system they’d spent hundreds on was minutes away from becoming obsolete. Sony’s also-ran of the video age launched in the UK in 1978, but had been plugging away in the US since 1975. A year later JVC had joined the fray with its VHS format and while Sony was slow to bring other manufacturers on board, the newcomer quickly jumped into bed with various Japanese electronic firms. Soon VHS was everywhere. Even though Beta led the way in innovations (it’s the system that brought us fast-forward and rewind!), VHS’s ubiquity and the tapes’ greater recording capacity swayed the public. By 1988, Sony threw in the towel, and got ready to launch their own VHS recorders.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
A pretty pivotal episode, this one, and not just for Peter Powell’s wardrobe reaching an all-time low with his ridiculous flying suit. If this repeat run has done nothing else, it’s disproven the myth that you had to be in the Top 40 to get on Top of the Pops as over the past four years we’ve seen dozens of acts appear while deep in the bowels of the charts, or indeed not in them at all, and who despite performing to several million viewers never got there. Hello, Glamourpuss. It’s a practice that’s soon to disappear but for one of the last occasions, they certainly struck lucky while trying to pad out the show during a quiet week as we don’t just get the debut of Jona Lewie but also, famously, the only appearance of the original incarnation of The Human League (although they also make a guest appearance in another song on the show) and their deadly enemies OMD.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Sandbaggers, The', Ant says: "Never shown on a Sunday, always a Monday at 9pm."
- In 'Zokko', Astronut says: "Score 15. Tramp-o-line."
- In 'James Bond Digital Alarm Watches', Richard16378 says: "At a guess: Salt & Vinegar Cheese & Onion Roast Beef Smokey Bacon"
- In 'James Bond Digital Alarm Watches', Graham Pearson says: "The 1983 incarnation of Smiths Crisps had five different flavours including Ready Salted. Please can you tell me what the..."
- In 'Life and Loves of a She-Devil, The', Barbersmith says: "I recently saw the repeat of this. It really is Christ-awful. Tom Baker does one of the worst drunk scenes ever seen, and the..."