A nation long reconciled to spending just as many hours in the kitchen preparing pudding as the main course (it’s Thursday, so it must be jam roly-poly) was always going to need something immediately comprehensible to shake it out of its sweetmeat servitude. Bird’s Angel Delight was just the thing, and moreover offered an additional boon by using up those half-bottles of milk leftover from breakfast. It debuted in supermarkets in 1967 promising the taste of strawberries and cream from colourful pouches of microdust. The fact this luminous powder had to be vigorously whipped together with milk was the cue for dad to ‘take a turn’ with the mixing bowl, thereby proving that no-one could ever say he didn’t ‘do his bit around here’. While a panoply of flavours and spin-offs, including birthday-party favourite the milkshake and the sadly over-ambitious home-made ice lolly, ensured the brand lined your ‘afters’ cupboard through the 1970s, its ultra-functionalism lost favour in the fussy Ice Magic-ed 1980s.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Top of the Pops
Friday, 19.30, 00.00, BBC4
We know he’s bloody useless at it, but actually quite a lot of the shows from 1982 we’re looking forward to seeing are presented by Simon Bates. It’s not for him, obviously, but he just happened to be hosting episodes featuring cracking line-ups or hugely memorable performances. His first edition of the year isn’t perhaps one of them, especially as a number of performances you’ll already have seen on the clip show, though that does emphasise there are lots of famous songs about.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Atlantic 252', Anthony says: "Before Atlantic 252 launched there were mentions in the press that it would carry Radio Luxembourg after 7pm on the 252 kHz LW frequency, had it have..."
- In 'Creamvote semi-final #1', Anthony says: "I like the original Who theme done by Delia Derbyshire as it’s the best version yet and has all the necessities of a sci-fi signature..."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "I’ve been hoping the BBC4 repeats would get to 1982 even since the started. This is mainly because it’s when I started to watch TOTP..."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Palitoy says: "Also worth noting – to reiterate a point made in one of the Cream Amigo’s recent (and great) commentary-casts – is that the..."
- In 'Sons and Daughters', Scott McPhee says: "Ally Fowler, who starred in Sons and Daughters, is still acting and performing. She sings in a pop group called The Chantoozies."