A nation long reconciled to spending just as many hours in the kitchen preparing pudding as the main course (it’s Thursday, so it must be jam roly-poly) was always going to need something immediately comprehensible to shake it out of its sweetmeat servitude. Bird’s Angel Delight was just the thing, and moreover offered an additional boon by using up those half-bottles of milk leftover from breakfast. It debuted in supermarkets in 1967 promising the taste of strawberries and cream from colourful pouches of microdust. The fact this luminous powder had to be vigorously whipped together with milk was the cue for dad to ‘take a turn’ with the mixing bowl, thereby proving that no-one could ever say he didn’t ‘do his bit around here’. While a panoply of flavours and spin-offs, including birthday-party favourite the milkshake and the sadly over-ambitious home-made ice lolly, ensured the brand lined your ‘afters’ cupboard through the 1970s, its ultra-functionalism lost favour in the fussy Ice Magic-ed 1980s.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Top of the Pops
Friday, 19.30, 00.00, BBC4
Back to the double headers, we’re pleased to see. We all know Pops now is better than at any point during this repeat run, although one downside has been in the hosts where they’re failed to fill the hole left by our favourite host Kid Jensen. But now they’ve done that in the shape of, er, David Jensen. Back from a year on CNN, Kid is back on Radio 1 and back on the Pops, and he takes to the current format, and the vibrant pop scene, like a duck to water, so it’s a treat to see him again. Sadly someone else from earlier in this repeat run is also back, which means the extended version probably won’t have all the acts in either. But rather that than not at all.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #3', Des E says: "Hey! Can’t we vote here or is it all being done on Twitter on this occasion?"
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Des E says: "It’s their last *credited* dance. We’ll see them dancing to “Happy Birthday” and “Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets..."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "According to the 1981 music documentary The Birdie Song was the last to have Legs & Co. dance to, so the transition to the 1980s format is..."
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #2', Des E says: "So, unlike last week, we have a clear winner. That it’s DW is no surprise at all. It’s not all that surprising, either, that its..."
- In 'Buzby ', RL says: "I have a vague recollection of having a hand me down toy from my cousin probably at my grandma’s house of a red telephone talking buzby. Would love to see..."