In the race to engulf greensward at irresponsible speeds which was the 1970s New Town scheme, it was hard for a fledgling metropolis to stand out amid the clamour. If you were neither notorious like Milton Keynes, nor hideous like Cumbernauld, how to get people looking – however disgustedly – in your direction? For plucky little Lancashire conurbation Runcorn, the answer was twofold: piggyback on the more well-known nearby town of Warrington, and encourage anyone interested in moving to the exciting new hyphenated location of ‘Warrington-Runcorn’ to ‘Ring Eileen Bilton now’ for more details. To let daylight in on magic for a second, Eileen Bilton was no more a solitary secretary in a box-room with a Trimphone and a pile of brochures than Ken Morse was just one bloke with one very busy rostrum camera, but the name of a rapidly expanding real estate partnership. Still, that’s the new town all over – promises exotic intrigue, delivers the same old splother as usual.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Saturday, 10.00, BBC Radio 4
A rather higher profile edition of this series than usual as the artist who’s talking John Wilson through his inspirations and working methods is none other than Macca himself. With an hour to play with they’re not limiting themselves to a single LP but the highs of his post-Fabs ouevre, and there’s a celebrity audience all eager to ask the great man questions as well.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "This has been up for a week is there a glitch or most of TVC on holiday?"
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #4', Des E says: "Grandstand’s probably going to win fairly comfortably, so I’ve given the ‘busters a consolation vote. Hopefully, though,..."
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #3', TV Cream says: "Dunno what happened with the voting function on this one. Sorry, everybody! We’re just going to tally the Twitter votes instead,..."
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #4', Richard16378 says: "Tough choice, but Grandstand just squeezed through, helped by being used on that Vincent Price film about roller coasters that..."
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #3', Des E says: "Hey! Can’t we vote here or is it all being done on Twitter on this occasion?"