Too thick to do the football pools? No matter, you can still be relieved of all your spare cash by doing Spot the Ball, the ridiculously impossible ‘put a cross where you think the ball should be in this photo provided you realise we can say it was anywhere we like once all the entries are in and there’s nothing you can do about it’ competition. Nevertheless, some people – and Nationwide found and spoke to them, unsurprisingly – became obsessed with the thing, leading to a small but highly visible mail order market for rubber stamps with a hundred tightly-packed crosses on them, with which hopeful fools would cover their coupons ‘to save time’.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Gerry Dorrian says: "I don’t object to what the BBC wants to do, I merely object to being forced to pay through the nose to fund it with next to no say on its..."
- In 'Knowing Me, Knowing You… With Alan Partridge', Applemask says: "It’s happening. Deal with it."
- In 'The Collins Cream-ish Dictionary', Paul Bovey says: "Apparently, the “Hah, huh…hoouurgh” in ‘Mama’ was ‘influenced’ by Melle Mel’s cackle in the..."
- In 'Ripcord', Lina B. Umpierre says: "I’m so glad TGG’s bringing the two seasons of “Ripcord” on DVD sets for sale that I’ll jump for joy! Geronimo!"
- In 'Organist Entertains, The', Applemask says: "I didn’t know Nigel Ogden was Metalunan. His show’s still piss-irritating though."